Monday, May 4, 2020

Magnet Withdrawal

We have been home for several months.  This is very unusual for us.  

As we travel, I buy magnets as souvenirs. 

This is the magnet that started my collection.  I bought it over 20 years ago.  I only bought a few magnets before our retirement in 2010.  After retirement my collection grew quickly.  These days I’m more picky about my magnet purchases.  If I don’t like any of the magnets available, I do not make a purchase.

McDonald Observatory in Fort Davis, Texas. My first magnet.

Some magnets are kept in the RV but most of them are left on the refrigerator in our home in Texas.


In our RV I have a couple of metal cookie sheets that I hang on the wall:



I try to get a magnet from every place we volunteer but that isn’t always possible.


I try to find magnets that are unusual or have movement or a 3D effect:

Shakers

Moveable. The claws move and open.

3-D

3-D

A perfect magnet will have the city and/or state somewhere on it.  I will buy a magnet without that information (if it’s really pretty, or cute) but I don’t have very many like that.  Can you guess where this magnet came from?


If the magnet is large enough, I write the date we visited on the back.


Did you guess Aspen, Colorado for the gold aspen leaf?

Not all magnets started out as magnets.  Sometimes I make my own.

Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory Tour.

Tabasco factory tour. 

Factory tours are a lot of fun and are magnet worthy:


The license plate magnet is a great idea.  This is the only one I have but I will start looking for them on future trips.


Sometimes we visit several attractions in a state and I end up with many magnets.

Florida

We have been to Canada many times.  It’s my favorite birthday destination.


We have been to Central and South America numerous times.  Here are a few magnets I’ve purchased.

Ecuador, Panama, Costa Rica, Trinidad &Tobago, Belize

Unfortunately, some of the places we visit don’t offer magnets at all and that is disappointing.

Every trip, tourist attraction, or point of interest we visit, I always ask myself “was it magnet worthy?”

I hope we get back on the road soon.  I really need a new magnet.


2 comments:

  1. Your magnet collection reminds me of my "Christmas Ornament" collection - in quotes because I too would often use something and make it into an ornament like you do with magnets. I started that in our travels many, many years ago and loved Christmas tree hanging as a good opportunity to relive those trips. Once we got in the RV we were traveling too many places to collect from each and I didn't have enough storage either. It was sad at first not to always look for an ornament. As we do more elaborate travel I'll have to get back into the business for ornament worthy places. Love your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have that storage problem any more! I hope you find many ornament worthy places in the future.

    ReplyDelete