Friday, July 30, 2021

Costa Rica July 2021 - Day 2, Part 2

July 7, 2021 - Continued

(Teri) At the gift shop in the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve I found a Monteverde magnet and we bought a little chocolate bar.  

It took me quite a while to pick out a mask.  I wanted all of them!  It’s a good thing they didn’t offer shipping or I would have bought out the store.  Each mask was different and they all were beautiful.  There were several different sizes but I was limited to available space in my suitcase. 

Here is the one I bought:

 


The masks are hand-made by the indigenous groups of the area and are carved from balsa wood.

After the gift shop we walked to a coffee shop on the grounds that had many hummingbird feeders around their patio.  We were there about 30 minutes watching the feeders.

Lesser Violetear

Stripe-tailed Hummingbird

Our next stop was lunch.  We went to Agora which was once owned by Giovanni’s wife.

 We once again had to wash our hands before entering. 

It was a pleasant day to sit outside.

I had Bowl Caliente.  It had chicken, quinoa and veggies.  It was okay.

 

Mark had a sandwich with sliced beef.  He tried an orange/ginger drink.  It had a lot of pulp and hard bits of ginger.  He didn’t care for it.

7/7/2021 Continued (Mark) –

After the Preserve we walked immediately next door to the Hummingbird Café. We watched feeders for about 30 minutes got great looks at several species.

Violet Sabrewing

Green-crowned Brilliant 
Male & Juvenile

We stopped for lunch on the way back at a restaurant that had been started by Giovanni’s wife and was now owned by his daughter.  The food was good and we were dropped back at the hotel around 2:00.

It once again rained on and off throughout the afternoon, and it appeared that the restaurant was only serving the groups, so we headed down the road (with our ponchos!) to a nearby sandwich shop. There we split a very good bean and cheese quesadilla and a BLT sandwich. It was even cheaper at about $12 and filled us up just fine.

(Teri) For dinner we walked a couple blocks to El Chinamo.

 

Mark ordered everything in Spanish!  All his hard studying was being put to good use. 

1000 Colones = $1.60

We spent the rest of our evening sitting out on our patio.

Next time:  Day 3 - Curi Cancha


Never miss out on future posts by following us

 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful mask, I've never seen anything like it. And good job with the Spanish Mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we ever go back to that place, I will have to take an empty suitcase!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful mask Teri. We bought a mask long ago made of leather from Mexico. It was one of the few things we saved when we went full time and parted with almost all our stuff.

    Nice job ordering in Spanish Mark. I grew up in Tucson and took three years of Spanish from 7th to 9th grade. I got to the point I could mostly understand basic conversations, but couldn’t speak it. Now that we live in Arizona, I fell like I should learn it. But alas, I am too lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had some masks that were quite large, I would have loved to have gotten a couple of them.

      Delete