Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gone Fishing

A couple of weeks ago we had “kids fishing day” here at the refuge.  Once a year several of the national parks host this event. 

Here at Monte Vista a pond was pumped full of water and 750 rainbow trout were brought in.  The kids were allowed to keep 4 fish and if they caught a ‘tagged’ fish, they got a prize.  The turnout this year was low and less than 100 fish were caught.  We also had a fishing day for the local nursing home and a day for disabled kids.  The refuge will no longer pump water into the pond and, we have been told, the water level will drop about 10 inches a day.  So, the whole point of this story is, we get to fish all we want!



4 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness! I am SO envious!!! I love a fresh trout dinner and they sure don't get any fresher than what you folks got. We had our fishing derby a few weeks ago.. I probably wouldn't eat anything that came out of these waters, even if it had been in there just a few hours. Now... really make me jealous and post a photo of that trout on the table ready to eat ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, does that mean you're going to be eating 600 trout?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Horned Lark photo!!! Today, I actually got pictures with the blog. That does'nt always happen. But I at least get to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, since we've been going fishing after we eat supper, we haven't kept any of the fish! We either give them to other people that are fishing or just 'catch and release.' I think I'll see if I have any cornmeal ...
    Teri

    Carolyn - Too bad your Internet isn't working all that well. I'm really interested in your thoughts on Arapaho - keep us posted!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete