Thursday, January 10, 2013

Too Close!!

Taking bird pictures seems to involve always trying to get closer. I use a large telephoto lens that helps a bunch, but no matter where I am I wish that I could maneuver to a spot nearer the bird.

But every now and then the tables get turned.  We spent a couple of hours on the boardwalks at South Padre Island Birding Center a few days ago. As we were completing our walk I looked at tiny little island no more than 10' from the boardwalk and right smack in the center was a beautiful American Bittern!!

The problem is that the boardwalk is only a few feet wide and there was no way to back up.  So this is all I could get in the picture:

American Bittern
We moved a little on the boardwalk but it didn't make much difference:

American Bittern
We sure enjoyed great looks at this wonderful bird!

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment